Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Vault

Ok, I feel like something needs to be said.

This post isn't directed at anyone in particular. This post is addressed to anyone who's pissed at someone and at a loss for what to say. So don't go thinking I'm directing this specifically at you...but if you've got a problem, listen up.

One thing that irks me more than anything is if someone's got a problem with someone else, and they don't just tell the person to their face. I'm sick of all this shit going on around here.

Without knowing any specifics, I can just sense it. It's like someone brought up in a conversation with me a few days ago - there seems to be a lot of drama within the UNI school of music. For some of us, it's making it less enjoyable to be here. We're all stressed out enough already, to varying degrees. Adding stupid drama to this already not-ideal situation just makes things worse.

I know, I'm probably one of the least stressed people here right now. I'm taking 12 credit hours, neither of my large ensembles are meeting this week, my financial situation is finally taken care of, and I've only really got 2 finals to study for. I'm not speaking on my own behalf. I'm talking about anyone who's enrolled in 18+ credit hours, for whom things aren't exactly going the best, who probably doesn't need you or anyone else judging them for any stupid mistakes they may have made. Calm down. Knock it off. Please?

Why do we need to judge people? Can't we just sit down and talk it out like rational human beings?

I don't care exactly what your problem is. I'm not interested in knowing everyone's little issues between eachother. That isn't any of my business. I'm not into starting trouble, and the sooner you all get that straight, the sooner we can all move on. All I would ask is that if you've got an issue with someone, please...don't drag someone else into it. Isn't it tiring, having to keep track of who knows what and who's involved with what?

I feel like a hypocrite. There was a time when I thought I needed to know everything that went on around me, that knowing all these things would make me more aware and would help me navigate the intense social maze of which I was a part. Look where it's gotten me - I've been judged for a fool.

Furthermore, there's something to be said for not telling someone at all when they're annoying you. I'm not saying go up to whoever's bugging you and tell them every little time they do something; at least just let them know politely when it's getting to be a problem. If you don't tell them, how's anything gonna get better? If you aren't able to talk it out with the person and reach a mutual understanding, where will that get you? Nowhere. There's nothing quite like just talking it out with someone - you may be surprised at how much more at ease you feel.
Along those same lines, if someone comes to you wanting to talk about a problem, there's no reason to get pissed, defensive, or irrational. Again, that gets you nowhere and doesn't help anything.

Stick that in your bowl and eat it...I say this all out of concern, not out of anger.

Also, I'm done. I really don't want to hear about it anymore. I'm done being involved in any drama...if you want someone to talk to as an unbiased listener, I'll be there, but don't expect my opinion. If The Vault was guarded under lock and key before, it's now under double lockdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment